Media Partnership: Decarbonising fertilizer production. Pathways to sustainable food
The In-person Conference „Decarbonising fertilizer production. Pathways to sustainable food“ organised by Fertilizers Europe with Media Partner Euractiv takes place
14th November 2023 from 10:00 – 13:00 CET,
in Sofitel Brussels Europe, Place Jourdan 1, 1040 Brussels
Today, half of the world’s food production depends on fertilizers. Fertilizers are therefore essential to ensure food security for all and strategic autonomy for Europe. However, the production of nitrogen-based fertilizers today is predominantly based on natural gas. The European industry is already investing in low-carbon and renewable production processes that will decarbonise fertilizer and food production and will contribute to the transition to climate neutrality in the EU.
While significant progress has been made to reduce the carbon intensity of fertilizer production, more needs to be done. Recognizing this, the European fertilizer industry commissioned Guidehouse consultancy to develop a Decarbonization Roadmap, exploring two main pathways for the sector in Europe. While the production of renewable and low-carbon fertilizers is achievable and promising, cost, scale, and regulatory challenges stand in the way of faster change.
The event will be an occasion to unveil the European Fertilizer Industry’s Roadmap to Climate Neutrality. The distinguished panelists will be invited to discuss what is needed to ensure a successful transition. Questions will include:
– What are the principal drivers and inhibitors to moving towards low-carbon and renewable fertilisers?
– What regulatory framework is needed to speed up the transition while ensuring that European producers remain competitive globally?
– Will the EU policies allow for the technology-neutral approach given that the situation of production plants will vary significantly over different regions in Europe?
– How to make low-carbon fertilisers commercially viable?
– How should cost increase be shared across the value chain?
– What will the impact be on the end consumer?
Further information about registration fees, registration details and the program can be found on the conference website following the link below. Please note that this event is in-person only and will not be live-streamed.